LMH Stands Strong among Nation’s Top Hospitals
Proud to be the only Kansas hospital to earn Truven Health 100 Top Hospitals® recognition for four consecutive years
For the fourth year in a row, Lawrence Memorial Hospital has earned its place among the nation’s top 100 hospitals, making us the first and only hospital in Kansas to achieve this prestigious recognition four times in the study's 23-year history.
Hospital-wide performance excellence at LMH
In an industry changing as rapidly as health care, according to Truven Health Analytics, the 100 Top Hospitals illustrate how effective leaders manage change and achieve excellence in a dynamic environment.
Fast Facts (click to enlarge)
The 2016 study recognizes hospitals that have clearly demonstrated the vision to develop long-term excellence in care, efficiency and community value. The program objectively gauges leadership impact and organizational health by assessing the ability to drive consistent, outstanding performance versus the performance of industry peers.
Also according to the study: "...100 Top Hospitals award winners have proven that better care and operational efficiency can be achieved simultaneously - even during tumultuous change."
How the Truven Health study works
Rather than conducting a one-year analysis – which only captures performance at a specific snapshot in time – the Truven Health study looks at data that reflect five-year performance for most measures. Researchers use this quantitative, objective and independently collected data to analyze hospital-wide performance improvement over time, ultimately identifying the 100 hospitals and leadership teams that provide the highest level of value to their communities based on a national balanced scorecard. The scorecard measures overall organizational performance across 11 key analytic measures that encompass patient safety, quality of patient care, operational efficiency, financial stability and patient perception of care.
View the list of measures analyzed for the 2016 Truven Health 100 Top Hospitals study.
Process of Care
- Inpatient mortality
- Medical complications
- Core quality measures for stroke care and blood clot prevention
- Mean 30-day mortality rate for heart attack, heart failure, pneumonia, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) and stroke
- 30-day readmission rate for heart attack, heart failure, pneumonia, hip/knee arthroplasty, COPD and stroke
- Average length of patient stay
- Mean emergency department throughput (in minutes)
- Medicare spend per beneficiary
- Patient satisfaction (based on HCAHPS score, a patient rating system for overall hospital performance)
What this means for LMH patients
What does our recognition as a top 100 hospital mean for our patients? Research shows that patients at Truven Health 100 Top Hospitals have:
- Better survival rates
- Fewer complications
- Better long-term outcomes
- Shorter hospital stays
- Superior overall hospital experiences
Truven Health research further reveals that, as a top 100 hospital:
- LMH excels across our entire organization, from high quality patient care to financial management, community benefits and more.
- We have very strong board leadership, and all hospital leaders at LMH are very effective with management and organizational goal development.
- We follow care standards more closely than nearly 1,000 similarly sized hospitals and nearly 3,000 other hospitals throughout the U.S.
- We value a culture of excellence and performance improvement throughout every aspect of our organization.
- We build on our achievements and continuously raise our own standards of excellence.
- We use advanced information technology processes.
Being named a Truven Health top hospital is a very prestigious achievement. Unlike other hospital ranking systems, the purpose of the Truven Health 100 Top Hospitals program is to show hospitals how and where they can improve, not to help consumers choose a hospital. Furthermore, it is completely objective: hospitals cannot apply for the 100 Top Hospitals award, and winners do not pay to market this honor.
At LMH, we earned our position among the top U.S. hospitals through our culture of performance improvement, our outstanding leadership and staff who embody evidence-based management as well as evidence-based medicine, and our unwavering dedication to the health of our community. As the center of healthcare in this community – not to mention one of Lawrence’s largest employers – we know financial health, operational efficiency and high quality patient care must be at the center of everything we do, and every decision we make. Our focus going forward will be to continuously reset our performance targets for ongoing improvement throughout our hospital. From our hospital leaders to our physicians and health care providers, staff and volunteers, LMH is proud to share this honor with our community for the fourth consecutive year.
For more information on the Truven Health study, visit 100tophospitals.com.
The 100 Top Hospitals® program is a registered trademark of Truven Health Analytics.™