Summer 2015 Junior Volunteer Program
The summer junior volunteer program gives area middle school and high school students an opportunity to experience working in the hospital environment. The program is sponsored by the LMH Auxiliary and is under the direction of the Volunteer Services Department.
Participants must be:
- at least 14 years old
- available to work at least one 3 hour shift a week,
- interested in helping your community, and
- possibly interested in a health care career
First year junior volunteers will have the opportunity to rotate through several different departments to get an overall feel for the hospital. Returning junior volunteers (those who have been here at least one past summer) will be placed in one department that fits their skills and interest.
The summer program runs for a structured 8-week period, starting the first full week of June through the end of July.
Steps to Apply:
1. Application. Fill out the Summer Junior Volunteer online application.
2. Interview. Contact Lauren Cobb to make an appointment. Lauren.Cobb@LMH.org or (785)505-3146
3. Parental Signatures Page. Bring the signed form to the interview.
3. Letter of reference. Bring a letter to the interview. Must be from a teacher or an adult other than a family member.
4. Scheduling. Be prepared at the interview to discuss your summer availability and any dates that you know you will be gone.
5. Orientation. All new volunteers accepted to the program will need to attend an orientation session. More information about orientation will be provided at the interview.
Returning junior volunteers also need to complete the application and set up an interview, at which we will discuss the area and time you would like to volunteer. Let us know early that you are returning! We give returning volunteers preference of when and where they volunteer.
Being a Junior Volunteer at LawrenceMemorialHospital is a great way to make a difference. Besides learning about the hospital environment, Junior Volunteers find out for themselves the satisfaction that comes from helping others.
If you have questions, contact Lauren at (785)505-3146 or Lauren.Cobb@LMH.org.
Volunteer spaces are limited each summer and not all students will have the opportunity to participate. Deadline for Applications is Friday, May 15.