Preparing for Surgery
At Lawrence Memorial Hospital, we want your experience to be as comfortable and stress-free as possible. Knowing what to expect before you arrive helps ease your mind about your upcoming surgery. The following information will help you and your family prepare. We encourage you to ask questions at any time during the registration process.
Once you have scheduled your surgery, pre-register with LMH by calling 785-505-2545 and leaving a message. An admissions representative will return your call to complete your pre-registration.
Once you have pre-registered, please call the nurse at 785-505-6268 or toll free at 1-800-749-4144 ext. 6268 between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. to verify your medical information. If pre-operative testing is required, it will be scheduled at this time. The nurse will explain what to expect the day of surgery and answer your questions.
Two Weeks Before Surgery
Discontinue the following herbal medications or any product that contains these substances:
- Ginkgo Biloba
- Kava Kava
- Garlic capsules
- St. John’s Wort
- Diet drugs such as Metabolite, Meridia, Fastin, Phentermine
- A multivitamin that contains any of these products
The Day Before Your Surgery
A nurse will contact you to:
- Confirm your surgery and arrival time
- Review your health history
- Confirm any allergies, especially difficulty with latex, rubber products, elastic or balloons
- Provide instructions about eating and drinking before the procedure
- Review your current medications including the doses and time(s) you take them each day
- Give you specific instructions (please tell the nurse if these instructions are different from those you received from your physician)
- Answer your questions about the procedure
Please call us at 785-505-6268 if you do not receive a phone call from our pre-admissions nurse.
The Day of Your Surgery
Please arrive promptly at your scheduled arrival time. Call the hospital surgery department at 785-505-6480 immediately if you develop a fever, chest congestion or flu-like symptoms prior to leaving your home.
What to bring with you:
- Insurance information and photo identification
- A copy of your Advance Directives, if available
- A current medication list with all dosage information
- Personal items (including a case for eyewear if applicable) and toiletries
- Your own pajamas and slippers if you are staying overnight and prefer to wear your own
- For children, please bring a favorite comfort item, a bottle with a nipple or a sippy cup, extra diapers, and a change of clothing
What to leave at home:
- Cash and credit cards
- Jewelry including body piercings and any other valuables (LMH does not assume responsibility for lost articles)
- Contact lenses (please wear your glasses)
At the Hospital
Please use the parking lot on the east side of the hospital in front of the Maine Street entrance. See Maps and Directions.
- Check in at the information desk in the main lobby of the Maine Street entrance.
- Present your photo identification and insurance information (including the name of your carrier, the carrier’s address, your plan number and other billing information).
- Provide consent for a child or patient unable to sign for his or herself. You can print and complete the Consent Form in advance if you wish.