Fit for Life
Where ever you are on your fitness journey, LMH Health Fit for Life programs are here to help you improve your health through exercise and education. From lifelong athletes to heart attack survivors, we have a program to help keep you vibrant and healthy.
Physically active adults tend to lower risks of heart disease, stroke, type 2 diabetes, depression and some cancers. Staying active can also help you control your weight.
According to the Centers for Disease Control, about 1 in 5 adults meet the physical activity guidelines.
For adults 18 and over, the following types of physical activity are recommended each week to improve your health:
- Two hours and 30 minutes weekly of moderate-intensity aerobic activity such as walking or aquatic exercise.
- Strength training two or more days a week to work major muscle groups—legs, hips, back, abdomen, chest, shoulders, and arms.
If you have cardiac and pulmonary issues, this program offers the opportunity to exercise in a safe, supervised environment. Participants in this program work with registered nurses, respiratory therapists, and exercise physiologists to increase endurance and develop your own exercise program. You will learn about cardiac risk factors and management of lung disorders as well as gain a greater understanding of how nutrition and medication affect your heart and lung health.
The Cardiopulmonary Wellness Program is frequently used as a continuation of an individualized, hospital-based cardiopulmonary rehab program. Our Cardiac and Pulmonary Rehabilitation program is certified by the American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation (AACVPR).
Location: Lawrence Memorial Hospital, 325 Maine
Call 785-505-2850 for more information
You don’t have to be a swimmer to benefit from exercise in the water. The water’s buoyancy supports your body and helps decrease the stress placed on your joints. These group classes are taught by licensed clinicians and offered in partnership with Lawrence Parks and Recreation.
- Aqua Fit: A class that uses the effects of water to help you get back on your feet after a recent surgery or chronic illness.
- Jivin’ Joints: A certified Arthritis Foundation water exercise class that offers gentle range of motion and endurance activities in warm water.
Location: Lawrence Indoor Aquatic Center
Tai Chi to Improve Balance
If you're looking to improve your flexibility and fitness, enroll in Tai Chi classes at LMH Health. This low-impact, flowing exercise also improves muscular strength, relieves pain and reduces the likelihood of falls.
LMH Health instructors lead classes throughout the year. Fall and winter classes are 16 weeks long and meet twice per week. Summer sessions are six weeks long and meet once per week. Tai Chi classes are open to all ages.
- Beginner Tai Chi
This class includes Tai Chi for Arthritis, part one. Participants will learn 12 movements and other exercises.
- Intermediate Tai Chi
This class includes Tai Chi for Arthritis, part two. Participants will learn nine more movements and other exercises.
- Advanced Tai Chi - Part I and Part II
These classes focus on Sun Style. Participants learn a total of 73 movements.
- Review of Sun Style 73 Moves
This class requires Advanced Tai Chi Parts I and II.
Location: LMH Health Performance and Wellness Center, located at Sports Pavilion Lawrence, 100 Rock Chalk Lane.
Due to COVID-19, our Fit for Life programs have been temporarily suspended. But do not worry, once we can safely host these classes again, we will let you know. In the meantime, you can learn more about our Fit for Life programs here.
For updates, please check the newspaper, our website and look for calls from LMH Health. Stay safe and healthy, and we look forward to continue being your health partner.
Call 785-505-5840 to sign up.
Fit I & Fit Assist
These programs allow you the opportunity to exercise independently or with an assistant in LMH Therapy facilities to meet your physical health needs. You will have access to resistance machines, treadmills, stationary bicycles and arm cycles, recumbent steppers and elliptical trainers. In addition, our facility is equipped with hand weights, stability and weighted balls and resistance bands. Monday-Thursday 7:30 a.m.-5:30, Friday 7:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. $35 for 12 sessions.
- Fit I: Exercise at your own pace in a gym-like environment with this program. You will receive an initial exercise orientation with a staff member and then work independently. Participants must be 18 years old or older and have a stable health status.
- Fit Assist: If you require extra assistance and a safe exercise environment, Fit Assist participants are paired with a family member, care provider, or an LMH volunteer who helps them safely complete their exercise routines in an LMH facility.
Location: Lawrence Memorial Hospital or LMH South
Call 785-505-2712 for information