Parkinson’s Disease Fitness & Wellness Classes
If you live with Parkinson’s Disease, research shows that over-exaggerated movements, high-intensity exercise and social interactions found in group fitness classes can have a positive effect. LMH Health Therapy and Wellness uses PWR! Parkinson’s Wellness Recovery exercise programs that show to:
- Slow disease progression
- Improve symptoms
- Restore function
- Increase longevity and quality of life
Find a class that meets your fitness level
Group class sessions are offered in six or eight week sessions. Class size is limited to ensure a safe and supportive environment.
In this energetic class, you will be challenged with circuit drills and agility activities to encourage large-amplitude, whole-body movements. This class includes PWR! Moves and a high-intensity cardio routine. This class is for you if:
- You can tolerate walking/standing for more than 45 minutes.
- You can navigate stairs and transfer to and from the floor.
- You have not fallen in the past three months.
This class includes movements in all positions, from sitting to getting down on the floor. You will learn strategies to improve functional skills and balance. This class is for you if:
- You can tolerate walking or standing for more than 30 minutes at a time without an assistive device.
- You are able to get up and down from floor using a chair or minimal help.
- You have not had any unexplained falls in the past three months.
From a sitting position, we'll take you through large, whole-body movements. Cognitive challenges increasing in complexity, along with vocalization helps improve the brain's ability to learn and form new connections. A helper to assist with mobility and transfer is recommended. This class is for you if:
- You use an assistive device.
- You have any pain or limitations using your hips, legs or feet limiting safe ambulation.
- Your tolerance for standing or walking is limited to household distances.
This FUN class emphasizes the strategies needed for safe mobility. PWR! principles will be utilized in fun and engaging ways to retrain the brain to sequence tasks and move better. This class is combination of the Standing MOVES class and the Sitting MOVES class. This is a good class for those who are recovering from an illness or just starting to need an assistive device. This class is for you if:
- You can stand/walk independently around the room with or without an assistive device for at least 10 minutes.
- You can get up with help from the floor.
- You can engage in cooperative exchanges with other participants.
About the instructor
Suzie Craig, PT is an LMH Health physical therapist certified in LSVT Big and PWR!Moves (Parkinson’s Wellness Recovery) research driven Parkinson’s specific programs.