Postpartum & Parenting Support
While you are at LMH Health recovering from childbirth, our expert nurses and breastfeeding specialists — together with your doctor or certified nurse midwife — will guide you through the first few days of your baby’s life. The time after childbirth is important for bonding between mother and child, as well as between fathers, partners and siblings. We encourage this quiet time alone with your baby.
The postpartum period begins at childbirth and lasts six weeks, at which time you should visit your physician or midwife for your postpartum checkup. Taking a new baby home is one of the happiest times in a woman's life, but it also presents both physical and emotional challenges. During this time, it is important to:
- Get as much rest as possible. You may find that all you can do is eat, sleep and care for your baby.
- Follow your doctor or midwife's instructions on how much activity, like climbing stairs or walking, you can do for the next few weeks.
- Eat properly, especially if you are breastfeeding. Taking care of yourself after delivery is just as important as taking care of your newborn. As you heal and adjust to life after childbirth, you should maintain a balanced diet, get plenty of rest and carefully increase your amount of exercise.
- Refer back to your Family Birthing Center Guide Part One & Part Two for information and resources.
If you feel overwhelmed, you are not alone. Because we care about your well-being long after you leave the hospital, we will complete a routine postpartum depression screening before you head home.
The following support groups, staffed by experts in postpartum and baby care, are available to help moms and dads “Journey through Parenthood.”
- Breastfeeding and New Parent Support Group: This group offers a safe and supportive environment to learn about breastfeeding and parenting. Visit with other new parents, participate in free weight checks, and get advice on breastfeeding and other baby care activities from our certified lactation consultants.
- Build Your Village, a Perinatal Mood Support Group: This peer support group is for new mothers suffering from pregnancy and postpartum mood challenges. The group is facilitated by an RN trained by Postpartum Support International and The Postpartum Resource Center of Kansas.
- Boot Camp for New Dads: Dads-to-be: Learn the ropes from other men who were once first-time dads themselves. Guys talk about becoming dads, supporting moms, and caring for new babies. Bring your baby with you to make the experience hands-on and real.
View All Parenting Classes & Events